Working from Home: How to Create an Office on a Budget
Any business managed or operated from home will require some workspace or a home office.
Working from home comes with numerous benefits, including zero commute time and flexible work hours.
However, it can also be challenging since there are more distractions at home than in a traditional office setup, ranging from house chores to homework with the kids and television to attending to your family affairs.
This is why it is essential to duplicate an office environment when creating your workspace at home.
Here is how to create a comfortable work environment at home on a budget.
Find the Most Comfortable Workplace in Your Home
Whether you work as a freelance photographer or a product guides and recommendations expert, you will need a space where you can comfortably run your business and get things done.
While having a dedicated home office in one room in the house would be the most comfortable option, most households are not always possible.
The second best option is finding a space that allows you to be productive and present in your job without distractions for as long as you need.
The best place should be good for your health in lighting for your eyes and posture for your body and back.
Some of the best places to set up a comfortable workspace at home include your bedroom, a spare bedroom, the kitchen, the garage, balcony, or living room if you live alone.
Dedicating a spot in your home for work will boost your productivity, as being in this space automatically prepares your mind to work.
The key is to use this space mostly for work, the same way you have other dedicated areas around the home.
It Needs to Be Quiet
The term quiet is relative depending on the kind of household you have.
To be productive when working from home, your workspace needs to be away from the chatter and noise in your home.
This is especially important if you have a house full of kids.
The best place should also have minimal human traffic to avoid being distracted from your work by what is going on around you.
Eliminating Noise from the Outside
Consider adding insulations to close gaps or replacing hollow interior doors with solid ones to reduce outside noise.
You can also add an acoustic mat and acoustic ceilings to block noise from above and beneath.
Consider double pane windows if you want soundproof noise from outside.
Make Changes to Your Furniture to Make it More Comfortable
This means you need to invest in a traditional office desk and chair, a comfortable sofa, beanbag, or couch.
You need to ensure the furniture in your home workspace is comfortable, no matter how many hours you work in a day.
The furniture you go for needs to have the right support against the neck, eye, and back strain.
It is essential to be as comfortable as possible and have a professional-looking workspace in your home.
This way, you get more done by giving the space the look and feel of an actual office setup.
Invest in a Comfortable Chair
An ergonomic desk chair is the most recommended for a home office. You can find affordable ergonomic desk chairs online that are within your budget.
The type of chair you choose determines the comfort of your workspace at home.
Remember, you will be sitting on this chair for the better part of the day. Therefore, the right one should support good posture.
- ★ COMFORTABLE, WITH MORE ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS - Thanks to our uniquely designed mechanism, this state-of-the-art office chair is more adjustable than almost all office chairs on the market. you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you. You can adjust the headrest height and angle. Lumbar support height and depth. Armrest height and distance from seat; the seat height; the backrest tilt; and the tilt tension
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- ★ EASY TO INSTAL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- ★ HIGHEST QUALITY WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
Use Support Pillows
It also helps to consider getting support pillows for your work seat.
These help to support your back, especially when working long hours.
The best pillows should come with breathable centres and a memory foam interior to offer relief to your back.
- ✔️ Pure Memory Foam and Body Heat Responsive: Our back pillow is made from pure memory foam, which uses body heat to mold and adjust to your individual support needs. The ergonomically designed cushion is precisely contoured to fit the curves of your back no matter the seat your sitting in. It's excellent for use at home, at the office, or in the car
- ✔️ Pain Relief for Sciatica, Upper, Middle, and Lower Back: Our back support for office chair provides support to your back, relieving pain in the upper, middle, and lower areas while also minimizing pressure along the sciatic nerve. Most chairs lack proper back support, but our chair back support will relieve the pressure and pain caused by all day sitting
- ✔️ Improved Posture and Spinal Curvature Support: Our lumbar cushion for office chairs is built to support the spinal curvature of your lower back, providing you with optimal comfort. Proper sitting posture allows you to work more efficiently by reducing fatigue and strain on the body's muscles. Our office chair cushion will adapt to you and upgrade your current office chair back support
- ✔️ Dual Adjustable Straps and Breathable Mesh Cover: A chair cushion is more than just ergonomic design and memory foam. We went above and beyond by including a hypoallergenic, breathable mesh cover that eliminates back sweats. The dual adjustable straps ensure the ergonomic chair cushion stays where you want it. And the included strap extensions will fit any chair with a back width up to 32" (81cm)
- ✔️ Lifetime Replacement Policy: At Everlasting Comfort we care about your experience with our products. To show that we’re here to help, we pledge to replace your back cushion should anything ever go wrong. Relax comfortably knowing we have you covered
Get Technologies to Support Working from Home
It would be best if you replicated a traditional work office for maximum efficiency.
This includes setting up your workspace with the required technologies to support your home office.
Most office environments are prepared for internet or power outages using backup internet service and UPS networks.
Ensuring you have the best connectivity at all times is essential, especially if you do online work.
Investing in the best technologies for your home workspace is the best way to ensure your tasks flow seamlessly and you meet your daily productivity goals.
- Product 1: Made with and for Pro Gamers: G Pro Wireless Gaming Mouse is the result of two years of work with professional esports gamers, combing advanced technologies in an ultra-lightweight design
- Product 1: Light-speed Wireless: Pro grade performance overcomes the traditional limitations of wireless latency, connectivity and power to deliver a rock solid, super-fast 1 millisecond report rate connection
- Product 1: Hero 16K sensor: Logitech's most accurate sensor yet with up to 16,000 DPI and 10X the power efficiency of previous generation for the ultimate in wireless gaming speed, accuracy and responsiveness. Microprocessor: 32-bit ARM
- Product 1: Ultra lightweight: Innovative endoskeleton design creates a super thin yet incredibly strong outer shell, enabling the body to weigh in at a remarkably light and maneuverable 80 grams.
- Product 2: Built with and for esports athletes for competition-level performance, speed and precision.
Whether you are running an online store or working remotely from your main office, it is not possible to be productive in your work without an efficient internet connection.
If you usually have issues with your internet speed at home, consider upgrading your router to enjoy better speeds in your home office.
For better signal strength, place the router off the groups, preferably in an elevated space.
Ensure there are no objects or clutter around the router interfering with the signal.
Also, consider placing it away from other electronic devices for better signal strength.
Generally, a 5-to10 Mbps speed is ideal for anyone working from home.
Get a Laptop Stand
If you use a laptop for work at home, you need to consider getting a laptop stand.
This rises and lowers the computer to your comfort level, making it easy to work without straining.
A laptop stand is a sure way of adding comfort to your office at home.
- 【Heat Dissipation】 With the open back design it offers the best ventilation and airflow needed to cool either your notebook or gaming laptop and preventing it from Overheating. And the rubber pads and aluminum alloy acts as a thermal pad to take the heat of too.
- 【Broader Compatibility】 Nulaxy C3 Laptop Stand is compatible with all laptops from 10-15.6 inches such as MacBook 12/ 13 MacBook Air 13 Macbook Pro 13/ 15 Google Pixelbook Dell XPS HP ASUS Lenovo ThinkPad Acer Chromebook and other notebook PC computer sizes between in 10-15.6 inches.
- 【Ergonomic Riser】 The Laptop stand works as a riser to elevate the laptop screen to 7’’ and brings it to a perfect eye level to fix your posture. The ergonomic riser will help reduce neck and back pain, reduce eye strain creating extra space giving you the option to work without any clutter on your desk. Note: We suggest you to use an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse because our testing showed that it might be a little wobbly while you type on the laptop keyboard.
- 【Sturdy & Protective Design】 Made with premium 5mm aluminum alloy this laptop stand is study and is able to support laptop weighing up to 22 lbs (10kg) and with the large rubber pads on the surface it will hold it steady too. We also have pads on the bottom to prevent it from sliding and protecting your laptop from any unwanted harm.
- 【Detachable & Simple Installation】 This laptop stand has premium CNC cut aluminum alloy material that will make sure it’s easy to reassemble and fits perfectly without any issues. With our easy to disassemble design you can easily detach it into 3 parts and store it to keep your desktop clean.
Buy New Decor at Bargain Prices
Even on a budget, you can still afford to spruce things up by finding décor for your home workspace.
Consider getting additional lamps, indoor plants, rags, office desk organisers, and wall hangings for your office space.
Consider checking online stores that sell office décor at affordable prices or sites that sell office décor at reduced prices.
Adding a plant in your home workspace improves fresh air in the space.
A succulent or a cactus can be a perfect office plant idea that requires minimal maintenance.
You can also consider adding a fresh scent into your space.
This includes the use of essential oils for energy boosts.
Add an Air Purifier
Now more than ever, good health has become a priority.
Air purifiers are made with filtration systems that capture up to 99.97% of particles in the air, including mould particles, smoke particles, and light odour.
This ensures our home workspace has fresh air at all times.
- A higher grade of HEPA - H13 Filters (higher rated than True HEPA) 99.9% particle removal.
- Cleans a room up to 1,600 sq ft in one hour, 840 sq ft in 30 minutes, 420 sq ft in 15 minutes (CADR 330)
- To make V2.0 quieter in 'Sleep Mode' and Speed 1 the ionizer is automatically turned off, on speed 2 and 3 it can be turned on/off as needed | CARB & ETL certified.
- Tempered Glass panel (like your cell phone, easy to clean, won't scratch like cheap plastic models), sleep and 3 fan speeds, 8 hr timer, night mode, child lock
- Genuine Medify Replacement Filter: B07MTQFFNT, 110 Volt units, USA registered Lifetime Warranty
The last thing you want is to work in an environment where you frequently have to jump over cords and cables.
Practising safe wire management can improve the aesthetics in a home office.
All you need is a few zip ties and clamps to manage messy cords and cables, which is budget-friendly when you are on a budget.
- Problem Solved! - The days of messy cables all over your house are coming to an end now as EVEO provides you with the cable organizer that will make your house look neat! Our cable management kit comes with all necessary components for smooth installation. It fits up to 300" of cable (up to 1" Wide / 0.6" high - for example: 2 HDMI cables + 2 regular USB/AUX cables)
- Only 15 Minutes to Install – Make your living room look all brand new with just a quick, small and easy modification? With the EVEO Premium Cable concealer, it’s possible! Just choose whether to use tape or drywall anchors & screws for installation, then our connector kit will do the rest. It has connectors that will fit any installation method (straight/T/corner/inner and outer elbow)
- Have it Your Way – We’ve made a cord organizer with a slim & sleek design that will perfectly fit your home décor and your size. For a perfect match, you can even paint the cord cover to match the color of your wall. If you need a different size, simply cut it down to your desired length
- Safety First – Besides aesthetics & organization, your safety is the primary purpose of our cable concealers. While loose cables are unpleasant to see, they also pose some dangers at home especially to little kids and pets. Our wire organizer makes sure that all spaces with electronics are safe for the little ones to roam around
- Only Top Quality Cable Concealers - Organizing your home or office with our wire concealers is super easy and DIY-friendly with its easy-to-follow instructions. Without the need for professional help, you can definitely arrange and hide all the messy wires in your space. We stand behind the quality of our products and that’s why, you shouldn’t be worrying at all
How to Be Productive When Working from Home
Have a Morning Routine
While it is easy to decide when you prefer to start working from home, coming up with a routine to ensure you stick to this plan is not always the easiest thing.
To be productive, you need to create a routine that builds up to finally getting work done.
Whether it is taking a cup of coffee first thing in the morning or taking a shower and preparing to go to work, having a schedule is the best way to remain productive when working from home.
Maintain Regular Working Hours
The key to being productive when working from home is maintaining regular working hours.
It would help if you replicated the same working ethics you use when working in an office space to ensure you maintain a work-life balance.
If you start early, ensure you also finish earlier, thus making time for other things outside of your work.
This way, you will be fresh and ready for the next day.
Track Your Time
To ensure your new home workspace is productive, you need to track your time.
This ensures you meet your deadlines and that you spent your working hours productively.
Check how long it takes you to complete a task and how this affects your bottom line.
Keeping track of your time at work will help you know how effective your home workspace is to your business.
You can use time tracking apps to ensure you are sticking to your schedule.
This also helps to determine the time of day you are most active, and when you are not.
You can use this information to determine when it is best to work on projects that improve your full concentration.
Remember to Take Breaks
According to the Pomodoro technique, people are more productive when they take breaks when working.
Consider taking breaks in between your tasks. This helps to reset your mind and gears you for more productivity once you return to your work.
Including frequent breaks in your schedule ensures you improve the mind’s agility while reducing mental fatigue.
It is possible to be productive even when working from home.
With this guide, you can create a home workspace on a budget while still enjoying the ambience of an actual office.
Set Ground Rules
If you live in a house that frequently has people running around, you need to set ground rules about when you are available and when you need time to focus on work.
The other people in your house need to treat your home office with the same respect they would if it was an office in a company building.
Setting ground rules will ensure there is minimal interference, therefore boosting productivity.
Cybersecurity Tips for Working from Home
Creating a comfortable work environment at home ensures you practice data safety when working from home.
When working from home, you make up part of the 70% global workforce working from home.
This means that cybercriminals are always looking for loopholes to exploit to compromise company data or user data.
Secure Your Home Office
Even when working from home, physical security should be a factor worth considering.
Lock up your home office the same way you would lock a workplace office when done for the day.
This will ensure your work gadgets are not tampered with, which is essential in protecting your work data.
- 1.52-cubic-foot home safe for storing important documents, jewelry, and other valuables
- Programmable electronic keypad ensures secure, easy operation; back-up key for emergency use
- Heavy-duty carbon-steel construction (8-gauge steel door and 14-gauge steel body); 2 live-door bolts and pry-resistant concealed hinges for superior security
- Includes pre-drilled mounting holes and hardware for floor and wall mounting
- Exterior measures 13.8 by 13 by 16.5 inches (L x W x H); interior space measures 13.6 by 10.6 by 16.4 inches (L x W x H); backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
Secure Your Networks
Cyber hackers are always looking for devices protected using weak passwords, especially routers.
Most people do not bother to change the router password from the default one, making their home network highly vulnerable.
To work safely and comfortably from home, change the router password to something difficult to crack.
This will make it a difficult target for hackers.
Also, ensure your firmware is up to date to ensure all loopholes are covered.
Maintain Different Devices for Work and Personal Use
As you try to make your work environment at home as comfortable as possible, you need to carve boundaries between your home and work life.
This involves using different devices for work and personal use. Having separate devices reduces the amount of data exposed in case of a security breach.
Use encryption on your devices
Encryption is a process that encoded data, making it unreadable to anyone without authorisation.
When sending encrypted data, only the recipient can decipher the encryption and access the files.
Encrypting your devices reduces the risk of data loss in case a device is stolen.
With encryption, the data in your device is inaccessible to unauthorised people.
Enable two-factor authentication
Two-factor authentication or 2FA is an access protocol where a user can only be granted access to a device after presenting an authentication code.
With 2FA, users are required to enter a code as a security requirement after successfully entering the password. This code is sent to the user’s email or phone.
Use Antivirus Programs
Hackers use malware programs like ransomware, spyware, Trojans, and rootkits to compromise user devices.
With a reliable antivirus program, you can keep off malware attacks.
The antivirus detects malware in your devices and removes it before it causes harm to your device or compromises data.
As you try to create a comfortable work environment at home on a budget, it is equally important to ensure your workspace and devices are protected.
Most of the tips given in this guide are relatively easy to implement on a budget to ensure you have the safest and most comfortable home office.
Last update on 2021-04-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API