The Top 10 SEO Project Management Tools
You're a marketer juggling multiple SEO campaigns and need help to keep it all organised. I get it — I've been there. Without the right project management tools, it's easy for tasks, deadlines and optimisations to fall through the cracks. But have no fear, friends. Today, I'm sharing my ten favourite SEO project management tools to help you work smarter, not harder.
These tools will transform how you plan and execute SEO strategies. You'll be able to seamlessly collaborate with teams, automate repetitive tasks, and always know the status of your projects with just a glance—no more frantic searches through cluttered spreadsheets and overflowing email inboxes.
I'll walk through the key features, pros and cons of each platform. By the end, you'll know which is right for your unique needs and budget. Whether you're a freelancer, in-house SEO or agency, you'll find tools to make your work life easier.
Let's dive in! This post will give you the clarity and confidence you need to streamline SEO project management. Say goodbye to chaotic workflows and unorganised campaigns — your new supercharged SEO process starts today.
Best SEO Project Management Tools
When tracking SEO efforts, Ahrefs should be your go-to tool.
With comprehensive keyword research and backlink analysis features, Ahrefs makes it easy to research target keywords, monitor website rankings, and identify new link-building opportunities.
Some of the key features include:
- Keyword Explorer – Discover keyword search volume, competition, and other optimisation insights.
- Position Tracking – Check your site's ranking for important keywords and track progress over time.
- Backlink Analytics – Identify influencers linking to your competitors so you can reach out and earn backlinks.
- Content Gap Analysis – Uncover which content topics your competitors are ranking for that you aren't targeting yet.
For managing SEO projects, Ahrefs helps you set optimisation priorities and benchmarks for success. And with its intuitive interface and robust API, it’s easy to collaborate with your wider team.
As one of the most potent SEO platforms, SEMrush is feature-packed for project management.
It offers an all-in-one toolkit for keyword research, backlink audits, rank tracking, site audits, and campaign analytics. You can research competition, monitor rankings, set up tracking workflows, and collaborate across projects seamlessly.
Some of the key highlights include:
- Keyword Magic Tool – Get keyword suggestions and analyse search volume and competition.
- Backlink Analytics – Identify top referring domains pointing to competitors.
- Position Tracking – Track website ranking positions for target keyword lists.
- Campaign Dashboard – Customisable central dashboard to monitor project KPIs.
- Integration with Google Analytics – Connect your Analytics account to view website traffic insights.
With powerful automation features, you can set up workflows, reporting, and notifications to stay on top of projects with minimal effort.
Trusted by over 40,000 marketing agencies worldwide, Moz is a robust SEO and inbound marketing platform.
From keyword research to backlink analysis and rank tracking, Moz offers all the SEO project management essentials in one neat package.
Critical features for managing SEO efforts include:
- Keyword Explorer – Research keyword volumes, competitor rankings, and other optimisation insights.
- Rank Tracking – Monitor website rankings for target keywords across search engines.
- Link Explorer – Analyse competitor backlink profiles and identify link-building opportunities.
- Site Crawl – Automatically crawl a site to surface SEO issues for cleanup.
- Campaigns – Create and monitor campaign-based projects with custom workflows.
Moz also offers SEO training courses to help upskill your team. And with slick dashboards and reporting, you’ll have the data you need at your fingertips.
You don’t necessarily need complex software to coordinate SEO projects successfully. Solutions like Trello make lightweight project management a breeze.
Trello uses Kanban-style boards to represent projects and workflows. You can create cards for individual tasks and use labels and due dates to organise and collaborate across teams in real-time.
Although Trello doesn’t offer dedicated SEO functionality, its flexibility makes it easy to adapt to managing SEO efforts.
You can create separate boards to track things like:
- Keyword targeting and ranking progress.
- Link building outreach and tracking.
- Optimisation tasks and site fixes.
- Content ideation and creation.
With easy task automation, notifications, and project analytics, Trello empowers you to customise workflows tailored to your SEO processes.
For those who prefer list-based project management, Asana is a popular solution.
Like Trello, Asana doesn’t offer specific SEO features. However, its robust task management and team collaboration features make it a flexible pick for coordinating SEO efforts.
With Asana, you can:
- Break down projects into tasks and subtasks with due dates, status labels, and assignments.
- Create workflows to map out repeatable processes.
- Generate custom reports on task progress, milestones, and project status.
- Integrate with Dropbox, Slack, Gmail, and 100+ other apps.
Whether it’s monitoring rankings, tracking outreach, or keeping content creation on schedule, Asana helps streamline cross-functional work across marketing and SEO teams.
When it comes to technical SEO audits and fixes, Screaming Frog is indispensable.
This crawl-based spider tool analyses on-page elements to surface optimisation issues, from duplicate content to broken links and metadata problems.
You can crawl up to 500 URLs for free or upgrade for more. Handy features include:
- Advanced filters – Filter issues by type, URL, page depth and more.
- Bulk actions – Fix common problems like broken links across multiple pages.
- Inspection pane – View on-page elements while crawling for easy diagnostics.
- Customisable exporting – Export crawl data to share audits and track progress.
For managing technical SEO projects, Screaming Frog takes the hassle out of uncovering and resolving site issues at scale. Pair it with lane tools like Trello to streamline workflows across your team.
Another handy tool for managing technical SEO issues is Surfer SEO.
It crawls and audits your site to catch problems, then uses machine learning technology to diagnose and suggest fixes.
Critical features for technical SEO include:
- Automatic site audits – Crawl a site to surface problems from thin content to broken redirects.
- AI-powered diagnostics – Get recommendations to resolve each optimisation issue spotted.
- Progress tracking dashboard – View issues identified over time and track fixes.
- Monthly on-page optimisation plan – Get a tailored monthly plan for technical SEO improvements.
For collaborating across teams, you can share widgets and data from Surfer SEO directly into tools like Trello and Slack.
Another all-in-one platform, Serpstat, offers a full suite of SEO tools and project and team management capabilities.
With Serpstat, you can research keywords, track website rankings, monitor backlinks, run technical audits, and create custom reports.
Handy features include:
- Customisable SERP tracking with ranking change alerts.
- Backlink analysis, including new lost links and toxic backlinks.
- Integration with Google Analytics, Search Console, Ahrefs, and SEMrush.
- Campaign management tools and team collaboration features.
Whether you need to analyse competitors, monitor keywords, fix technical issues, or manage campaigns, Serpstat brings all the data together in one dashboard for streamlined SEO project management.
Last but not least, for managing large-scale link-building outreach, URL Profiler is invaluable.
It helps you identify and research outreach targets based on domain authority, backlinks, social media followers, and more.
You can categorise prospects, track outreach progress, and export reports for easy project collaboration.
Key features include:
- Filter prospects by location, social followers, backlinks, keywords, and more.
- Save email templates and track outreach progress.
- Categorise contacts and websites for tailored outreach.
- Schedule and automate follow-ups.
For streamlining link-building campaigns, URL Profiler takes the pain out of researching and tracking prospects at scale.
Get the Most From Your SEO Tools
Having the right project management tools makes all the difference when juggling multiple SEO campaigns and strategies.
Solutions like Ahrefs, Moz, Screaming Frog, and URL Profiler offer purpose-built SEO functionality, while flexible tools like Trello and Asana enable easy customisation.
To get the most value, audit your current processes and identify problem areas first. Map out your workflows and data needs. Then, choose tools that align with your priorities and strategies.
Focus on platforms that make collaboration seamless. Integrations, custom APIs, and easy reporting allow you to centralise data and progress updates across teams.
Set up dashboards, alerts, and notifications to stay effortlessly on top of all your SEO projects in one place. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to test different options – there’s no one-size-fits-all solution.
With the right toolkit, you can transform how you manage SEO and maximise the impact of your efforts. So don’t settle for second best – implement platforms that supercharge your strategy today!
FAQs About SEO Project Management Tools
Managing SEO projects effectively is crucial for driving results. Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about leveraging tools to boost project management:
What are the benefits of using SEO project management tools?
SEO project management tools provide a wide range of benefits, including:
Increased collaboration across teams and stakeholders.
Centralised data and reporting for better visibility.
Task automation to reduce manual processes.
Workflow optimisation and improved efficiency.
Easy tracking and management of multiple campaigns and projects.
Identification of issues/bottlenecks to improve operations.
What features should I look for?
Some key features to look for include:
Keyword research and rank tracking capabilities.
Backlink analysis and monitoring.
Technical/on-page audit functionality.
Custom reporting and data visualisation.
Collaborative team features like user roles, comments, and task assignments.
APIs and integrations with other marketing tools.
What tips do you have for getting started?
Document your current marketing and SEO processes to identify needs.
Map out goals, workflows, required data points, and collaboration needs.
Get team buy-in and training on new tools.
Start slowly implementing tools into your workflows rather than all at once.
Standardise tool use and processes across teams.
Leverage automation and integrations to maximise efficiency.
Designate “power users” on each tool to provide internal support.
Should I use free or paid tools?
Many robust SEO tools offer free versions with limited capabilities, which can be a great starting point. However, paid tools tend to provide more advanced functionality. Evaluate your needs and budget to strike the right balance. Free tools like Trello can work well with premium devices like Ahrefs or Moz.
What's better – individual tools or an all-in-one platform?
This depends on your specific needs and preferences. Individual tools are excellent for specialised functionality like rank tracking or technical audits. All-in-one platforms can streamline data and workflows but may not offer best-in-class capabilities on every feature. Consider your budget, current stack, and needs when deciding what works best for your team.
How can I optimise my tool usage?
Set up dashboards, workflows and notifications to take advantage of key features.
Leverage integrations between tools to centralise data.
Identify power users for each tool to provide expertise.
Scale usage over time instead of all at once.
Review analytics on usage and collaborate across teams.
Take advantage of automation to reduce manual processes.
Provide ongoing team training and support.
Optimising workflows and collaborating across teams is crucial for executing successful SEO strategies. However, juggling multiple tools, campaigns, and data points can hinder productivity.
By leveraging purpose-built SEO project management software, you can streamline processes, improve visibility, and maximise results. Solutions like Ahrefs, Moz, Screaming Frog, and Trello provide specialised functionality for tackling tasks like keyword research, technical SEO, outreach tracking, and more.
The key is choosing tools aligned with your team's needs and workflows. Focus on ease of collaboration, data centralisation, and automation to boost productivity. With the right solutions, you can work smarter, move faster, and get more done in less time.
So, don't settle for disjointed workflows and outdated processes. Implement next-gen project management platforms that transform how your team collaborates and executes strategic SEO success. The future of marketing productivity is here – upgrade your tech stack and unlock your team's potential today.