Best Graphics Tablet For Artists in 2021
A graphics tablet is a peripheral device that will allow the artistic soul to find a common language with the computer.
It can have several applications, both in computer graphics and in photography or design.
Read on, and you will find out what it will be useful for you and which is the best graphics tablet to choose.
What is a graphics tablet, and what is it for?
A graphics tablet is a very versatile device.
It works well both for drawing, design and post-production in photography.
All you need to do is connect it to your computer (wired via USB cable or wirelessly), install the appropriate software, if necessary, and you can start creating whatever plays in your soul.
The graphics tablet allows you to create images, utility maps, spatial diagrams, CAD designs, and even handwritten notes, for example, in Word.
Some graphics tablet models look similar to standard multimedia tablets – they have a colour display.
The difference, however, is that after that in the graphics tablet you can draw.
On the other hand, other tablets have a work surface on which you work, and you can see the effects of your actions only on the computer screen.
In both cases, you use a pen with replaceable inserts, somewhat similar to a very simple pencil or pen.
Who will need a graphics tablet?
A graphics tablet is an excellent solution for those who find drawing with a mouse not very intuitive, and for all those who want to develop their skills in creating and editing broadly understood digital images.
A graphics tablet, combined with appropriate software, successfully replaces the equipment of an art studio – paper, crayons, paints, markers and even erasers.
The creative process using this type of tablet is also only much more comfortable and natural.
In the case of drawing and painting, you do not have to worry about mixing colours – here you can successfully paint lighter elements and reflections even at the end, without affecting the previous colour layers of the graphics.
Also, it is easier to perform detailed editing as it is much easier to handle fine details.
Types of graphics tablets
Traditional graphic tablet
It is a type of graphics tablet called pointing.
It consists of a pad-like work panel and a stylus similar in structure to a pen or pencil.
In the way it works, it is supposed to replace a traditional computer mouse or touchpad.
However, it is handled in a completely different way, because it is not absolute but relative motion, which means that if you want to act in the corner of the screen, you have to touch the corresponding corner of the tablet surface.
Therefore, it is good to choose a tablet with a size that proportionately reflects the size of the monitor.
Besides, these models are available in a version that can only be operated with a pen and with an additional touch function.
LCD graphics tablet
This model is equipped with a screen that you can draw on with the stylus.
Working on the LCD model, even more, reflects drawing on a sheet of paper.
The main difference, however, is that the tablet gives you almost countless options for correcting and editing your artwork.
More advanced graphics tablets are equipped with their system and embedded software.
These are more independent and mobile devices that do not require connection to a computer.
Stylus for a graphics tablet
The stylus in a graphics tablet is an essential tool.
After all, it is with it that you draw lines or lines that ultimately determine the appearance of your work.
Therefore, its parameters are critical.
Among other things, the pressure sensitivity, the reaction to the pressure force, the recognition of tilt angles and the pen reading height are essential.
It works like a real pencil or pen, so it must behave similarly.
For example, vary the thickness of the lines depending on how you guide the pen over your digital piece of paper, i.e. the tablet's working surface.
There are battery and battery-free styluses on the market.
For example, Wacom graphics tablets use pens that do not require batteries, thanks to the patented magnetic resonance technology.
Some stylus models have a tip similar to a pencil tip on one side and a programmable button on the other.
You can assign various functions to it, but the most frequently chosen one is the eraser function.
Usually, the pen comes with a set of replaceable cartridges.
Graphics tablet software and its capabilities
Currently, one of the most popular graphics programs – It is used for editing raster graphics, digital photography processing, designing 3D models and handling vector shapes.
With it, you can perform both simple editing and advanced illustrations as well as complex printing projects and those intended for websites. Available on Windows and macOS.
A graphics program designed to create vector graphics. A flagship tool from Adobe that provides multi-dimensional possibilities for creative expression.
Perfect for icon design, logos, typography and illustrations for printed and digital materials, interactive movie applications or mobile devices.
Available for Windows, macOS and (coming soon) iOS.
Graphics program for iPad and iOS, top-rated among its users.
An award-winning, versatile and richly equipped creative application that, thanks to the presence of many brushes, provides incredibly natural creative effects and possibilities that go beyond standard working methods.
Clip Studio Paint Pro
One of the best applications for creating manga, comics and illustrations.
You can draw freehand with the stylus or create vector graphics on vector layers.
You can also choose from a wide variety of patterns and patterns to use, including lines, stars, ribbons.
Anime Studio® Debut
2D animation program. Just import characters from other programs or easily design. You can also enrich the movie with sound.
You can save your finished movies, export them to many popular formats and even share them on YouTube.
Corel® Painter® Essentials ™
A fascinating variation of the Corel Painter program, which, like the original, is mainly used for painting.
For this reason, it is equipped with a rich set of digital brushes, other tools and exciting textures that look like various types of paper.
Also, with this program, you can edit a photo or drawing to make it look painted or sketched. The program is available for both macOS and Windows.
Corel AfterShot ™ Pro
Advanced graphics program for photo post-production.
It enables precise photo processing and cataloguing.
You can make changes very freely, non-linearly, and thanks to the use of layers, it's easy to undo.
The program is cross-platform: it works with Windows, macOS and Linux.
Corel PaintShop® Pro
A program for retouching, cataloguing and sharing photos on the Internet.
Advanced processing, precise removal of selected objects from the frame, or quick mass retouching thanks to the Express Lab function – all these are only part of Corel Paintshop's capabilities.
With its help, you can create, among other things, a professional photo book and an impressive slide show.
Used by professional filmmakers and game designers, a 3D digital sculpting and painting program.
Create digital 3D prints and animation characters. ZBrushCore® works on both Windows and macOS computers.
Free raster graphics creation program. Available under an open-source license.
It is perfect for basic and more advanced photo editing and illustration design.
This is a great solution, especially for beginner graphic designers or enthusiasts, who do not have to buy a more specialised tool. Available incl. On Window and Linux.
Worth Reading: Drawing Tablets For Beginners & Professionals 2021
Recommended Graphics Tablet Models
A graphics tablet for creators and enthusiasts
1 – Wacom Intuos Pen
- Graphic drawing tablet with 4096 Levels of pressure sensitivity – gives you control and precision when drawing, painting and photo-editing in nearly any software program
- Compatibility: Mac (OS X 10.10 and above), PC (Windows 7 and above), Chromebook (devices running the latest Chrome OS), and Android smartphones/ tablets (OS version 6.0 or later); Easy plug-in via USB-A: some devices require USB-C or OTG adapters
- Small Compact size (7.8” x 6.3”) with large active area (6.0” x 3.7”), is perfect for limited desktop areas and can be setup for both left and right-handed use
- Four customizable ExpressKeys that put your favorite shortcuts like undo or copy/paste at your fingertips when used with your Mac/PC
- Creative Software: Register your Intuos on your Mac/PC to receive Clip Studio Paint Pro (2-years) and try out Corel Painter Essentials 8 & Corel AfterShot Pro 3 for 90 days; Register with your Chromebook and receive Clip Studio Paint Pro (3-months)
A pointing-type graphics tablet, without a screen, with a resolution of 2540 LPI and with an included proprietary stylus with a 4096-degree sensitivity level.
Perfect for digital drawing, painting or photo editing.
Easy to use, light, handy and very intuitive in operation.
It is additionally equipped with four keys for even more practical use.
2 – Huion H420
- Compatible with Corel Painter, CorelDraw, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Macromedia Flash, Comic Studio, SAI,Paint tool sai, Infinite Stratos, 3D MAX, Autodesk MAYA, Pixologic ZBrush and other major graphics applications.
- Function as the cursor and the board as the screen, when you move the pen to the corner of the board, the cursor on your screen moves to the corner of said screen, etc.
- Pen scrolling – You can scroll documents and Web pages by pressing the middle button of the digital pen over the tablet’s working area. (Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/Win7/8/10 and Mac OS 10.8.0 or above. )
- Three express keys - such as close current page, save current page.
- USB interface, Plug & Play- don't need to install external driver, very convenient
A screenless graphics tablet with a wireless stylus.
The active area of the Huion H420 working surface is 101 x 56 mm and has a resolution of 4000 LPI.
The pen is sensitive to 2048 pressure levels and is equipped with programmable buttons. Works well with drawing and handwriting.
3 – Huion H1060P
- OS Android 6.0 Supported - You can easily connect your phone to the tablet with the OTG connector after firmware UPDATED; ONLY mobile phone and tablet powered by Android 6.0 or above are supported, while iPhone and iPad are NOT at the moment. NOTE: The cursor will not show up in SAMSUNG Galaxy S series at present. If you are not sure whether the product is compatible with your Phone or if you meet any problems, please contact us.
- Tilt Function Battery-free Stylus - Provide you ±60 levels tilt recognition for accurate cursor positioning with different angles; Outfitted with PW100 battery-free stylus of 233PPS report rate, 10mm sensitive height; Lightweight design and eco-friendly, no need to charge. Digital PW100 with 8 PCS replacement pen nibs PN04 for PW100 is included.
- 8192 Levels of Pressure Sensitivity - With 5080LPI screen resolution, makes every stroke more fluent; Its pressure sensitivity is four times higher than most of the homogeneous products recently in the market.
- 12 Customized Press Keys - With 16 Customized Soft Keys, producing a variety of different combinations of shortcuts; You can set any function for them according to your operating habit and preference.
- Professional Configuratiaon - 10 x 6.25 inches working area provides the user with the most comfortable size to work and no delay; Create lines and projects as big as you can imagine. Online Teaching and Working - Meet all your needs for every subject with online tutoring softwares: Power Point, Wrod, OneNote, PDF... Let's work more efficiently. Use Huion for for online conference purpose,Web Conferencing, Webinars and Screen Sharing.
A pen tablet without a screen with a 10 x 6.25-inch work surface for a comfortable working space.
The system of this model is distinguished by its impressive speed, smoothness and responsiveness of operation.
The refresh rate here is 233 PPS with a screen resolution of 5080 LPI.
Combined with 12 programmable buttons, this ensures that the creative process is convenient and lag-free.
4 – Huion Kamvas Pro
- Outstanding Visuals : HUION Kamvas Pro 13 features a stunning 13.3-inch full-laminated screen with Full HD resolution, letting you enjoy immersive viewing in great clarity and fine detail. And it reduces the parallax to the lowest so you can easily control the cursor where you expect to be. Together with IPS panel and anti-glare glass, graphics draiwng monitor is able to reduce the interference of ambient light on the creation and show every detail clearly across the wide 178° viewing angle.
- Stunning Color : See your creations in vibrant and true-to-life colors on this screen with 120% sRGB (92% AdobeRGB) wide color gamut (16.7millions 8bit). 1000:1 contrast ratio shows shadow details clearer and sharper. It can deliver the color accuracu you need for photography, graphic design, content creation, and other color-critical applications to complete your best work .Get into your preferred working position with the adjustable stand and start your creation right now.
- Simplify Workflow: A set of 4 customized express keys and touch bar helps get easy access to your favourite shortcuts of keyboards or mouse to achieve different operations, such as zooming in and out, adjusting brush size. Saving time and keystrokes, the creative process will be more productive and enjoyable than ever before. With a sleek and modern design, Kamvas Pro 13 is only 11mm thin and weigh less than 910g, which is easy to carry when on travel.
- Tilt Function Battery-free Stylus : The battery-free pen PW507 looks and feels like a regular pencil, offering you responsive and accurate pen performance with 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity, ±60° tilt recognition, virtually lag-free tracking. Combined with the etched glass screen, you will feel like as natural as drawing on paper. Plus, the two side buttons on the pen can be programmable to the software’s shorcuts you want.
- Connection & Compatibility: The graphics tablet display can be easily connected with 3 in 1 USB-C cable (HDMI signal) to your computer & laptops that run Windows 7 or later, MacOS 10.12 or later as well as ChromeOS 88 or later. It is well compatible with most softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Clip Studio Paint, SAI, etc. No matter you’re interior designers, 3D animators, illustrators, film-makers or art students, Kamvas Pro 13 is the perfect tool to bring your vision to life.
Model of a graphics tablet with an LCD screen and an IPS matrix with a diagonal of 13 inches.
The display is distinguished by 120% sRGB coverage and the availability of up to 16.7 million colours.
The pen attached to the tablet is battery-free, has a pressure sensitivity of 8192 levels and records inclination lines.
5 – Wacom Intuos Pro L Paper
- Paper-to-digital ability lets you capture editable versions of your pen-on-paper sketches, completely digital from start to finish and export as raster or vector files. 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt-response and virtually lag-free tracking with new Pro Pen 2 technology
- System Requirements: USB port, Windows 7 or later (64bit), Mac OS 10.10 or later, Bluetooth, Classic for wireless connection to PC or Mac, Bluetooth LE for wireless connection to mobile devices (in paper mode),Internet connection to download driver and Software.
- The Paper Edition consists of the new Intuos Pro tablet & Pro Pen 2 combined with a detachable Paper Clip and a Fine tip (gel) Pen for sketching on paper
- Connect tablet to your Mac or PC without paper, using the Pro Pen 2 and it works as a regular Wacom Intuos Pro
- Super-slim tablet design with a more compact footprint (16.8” x 11.2”) and larger active area than previous models (12.1” x 8.4”). Size Large: 430 x 287 x 8 millimeter / 16.8 x 11.2 x 0.3 inch, Weight Large: 1300g/ 2.86 pounds
A pen tablet for modern traditionalists.
Wacom Intuos in the Paper version is a device that combines the classic form of drawing with the digital form of editing and finishing the work.
The graphics tablet comes with a Pro Pen 2 with 8192 levels of pressure, a Finetip Pen with three nibs, and ten sheets of paper.
Creating on this device is exceptionally natural, intuitive and convenient.
A Graphics Tablet for Artist & Professionals
6 – Wacom Cintiq 16
- A more affordable pen Display with Wacom Pro Pen 2 technology, 8, 192 pressure levels, low activation force and tilt recognition. Its amazing precision and reduced Parallax provide the most natural drawing experience.
- Cintiq’s 21.5” 1920x1080 HD Display provides you with clarity to see every detail of your work. The scratch-resistant Anti-Glare surface prevents distracting reflections as you create
- See your creations in vibrant color on the cinq's HD display (16.7 million colors, 72% NTSC/Cue 1931 typical). Work as long as you'd like with the battery free pen that charges off the screen while you create
- Connect to your computer with the convenient HDMI and USB cables and get into the perfect position with the included adjustable stand that lets you adjust how you want to work
- What’s in the box: Wacom Cintiq 22 pen display, Wacom Pro Pen 2, detachable pen holder with 3 replacement nibs (standard) and nib removal tool, Adjustable Stand, HDMI & USB 2.0 cables, AC adaptor, power cable (1.8m), quick start guide
A pen tablet with an LCD screen with an IPS matrix, viewing angles in the range of 176 ° and resolution in the FullHD standard, additionally covered with a special anti-reflective coating.
The Cintiq 16 also comes with a great Pro Pen 2 with 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity.
7 – Wacom LCD Cintiq 22HD
- 22 inches HD display features a wide format, full HD resolution and extra wide viewing angle
- Work naturally and intuitively directly on screen; Sketch, paint, design and edit directly on the surface of the screen
- Wacom's most advanced pressure and tilt sensitive pen technology replicates the natural effects and experience of working with conventional tools such as pens, markers, and brushes
- Time saving express keys, work easier and faster with customizable express keys, 1 touch access to your favorite shortcuts
A graphics tablet with an LCD screen with a diagonal of 21.5 inches and an aspect ratio of 16: 9.
The screen matrix is IPS with Full HD resolution and viewing angles up to 178 °, which ensures good visibility of the image regardless of which side you look at it.
The colours do not lose their intensity, and there are as many as 16.7 million in the sRGB palette with 72% colour coverage.
Also, the tablet is equipped with 16 programmable buttons, a rotating stand and an HDMI port and Pro Pen 2.
8 – Huion Kamvas Pro 22D
- 16 user-defined shortcut keys+2 touch bar- The press keys on both side can be programmed separately.Available for Right-handed and Left-handed Users.Response Time: 25ms, Viewing Angle: 89°/89°(H)/89°/89°(V)(Typ.).
- Tilt Function Battery-free Stylus - This drawing tablet monitor comes with 8192 levels of pen pressure, PW507 battery-free pen provides a more accurate and natural drawing experience; Plus with ±60 degrees of natural tilt recognition, you will have much more fun when drawing.
- 120% sRGB Color Gamut - The pen display comes with 266 PPS Report Rate, you can have better performance and quicker response when working on the pen display; The drawing monitor cannot only provide users with a wider field of view, but also offering richer colors and more natural transition.
- Full-laminated Anti-glare Glass - Thanks to the full-laminated screen technology, the stroke you drew is accurate and natural, and almost without offset; Besides, the screen surface is covered with anti-glare glass, effectively reducing the "glare" effect and providing better protection for your eyesight.
- Compatibility - Kamvas Pro 20 is compatible with Windows 7 or later and Mac OS 10.12 or later; It is also compatible with mainstream software like Adobe Photoshop, Clip Studio, Paint Tool Sai and more; Huion provides one year warranty. Online Teaching and Working - Meet all your needs for every subject with online tutoring softwares: Power Point, Wrod, OneNote, PDF... Let's work more efficiently. Use Huion for for online conference purpose,Web Conferencing, Webinars and Screen Sharing.
A comfortable and professional pen tablet with a 21-inch IPS LCD screen with 178 ° viewing angles.
The screen of the device is covered with anti-reflective glass, which was installed in the laminating technology.
As a result, the distance between the glass and the panel has been reduced, and the parallax phenomenon has been reduced.
In this way, the brightness and clarity of the screen has been increased, which translates into 120% sRGB colour coverage.
The tablet is also equipped with 20 programmable buttons and a pen.
9 – Apple iPad Pro
- 11-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
- A12Z Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, and LiDAR Scanner
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
The Apple iPad Pro is a multi-functional multimedia tablet that is also great for graphic work.
It goes well with the Apple Pencil (not included), with which it forms an unsatisfactory duo for professional creatine tasks.
The screen of the Apple tablet consists of the proprietary Liquid Retina display, which is distinguished not only by a wide range of intense colours but also an instant response time.
10 – Wacom Cintiq Pro 24
- Wacom's most natural and advanced pen performance with 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, eraser and virtually lag free tracking
- 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) is packed into a 24 LCD display with superb color accuracy (99 percentage of Adobe RGB)
- The Express Key Remote puts 17 programmable buttons within easy reach; The on screen keypad and the radial menus offer further 1 touch shortcuts
- The etched glass screen reduces glare and reflections while providing a distinct, tactile experience as you draw, mimicking the feel of a pen on paper
- Connect Cintiq Pro 24 to your Mac (OS 10.11 or later) or PC (Windows 7 or later) with the included cables/connectors for USB-C, HDMI or Mini/DisplayPort
Wacom graphics tablet for particular tasks.
It is equipped with an LCD screen with a resolution in the 4K standard (3840 x 2160 px) with 99% coverage of the sRGB colour palette.
The display with a brightness of up to 350 cd / m2 has been covered with an anti-reflective coating, which in combination with the Pro Pen 2 stylus gives an exceptionally natural experience of use. Just like paper and pencil.
If you are interested in digital graphics or broadly understood creative work, it is worth taking a closer look at graphic tablets.
They are a beneficial device that forgives much more than a sheet of paper.
Which of the presented models did you like the most?
What are you going to create with it?
Tell us more about it in the comments.
Last update on 2021-10-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API