What’s the Best Wacom Drawing Tablet for Designers in 2020?
If you’ve ever got a big image-retouching job, working with a mouse generally renders it not so accurate, and you have to put in more work.
After years of practice using a mouse, I’ve perfected my ability to use a mouse to edit pictures. However, there are more advanced tools than mice in the market today to make image editing simpler, easier to work, notably better performance, and the result is overall better.
It can be annoying to work with your cursor because your wrist is flat, and you can work only with simple motions involving the whole hand. Usually, a mouse in your hand is not that precise and sluggish, and your hand may tend to clamp after extended usage.
A mouse is perfect for browsing the internet, clicking, or doing basic research, but a Wacom drawing tablet can be used to complete a more thorough job, and the results will be visible.
If you decide to get a Wacom drawing tablet, most of the brands today come with a pen-shaped stylus. There is no doubt that the pen is much more comfortable to handle than a mouse, plus working with a stylus, you will be more precise in your work.
- Graphics tablet to use in any software for digital art, photo editing and animation 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and 2540 lip
- Connect this digital drawing tablet to your computer via USB cable to your Mac or PC to easily write, edit or convey ideas to students or colleagues when web-conferencing
- Slim design and compact sized art tablet with a large drawing area (6.0 inches x 3.7 inches); Perfect for limited desktop areas and gives more room to create
- Easy setup, for both left and right handed use; The pen doesn't need to be charged so you can start creating immediately; 4 customizable express keys put your favorite shortcuts at your fingertips
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: Soft-lined laptop sleeve—holds up to 15" MacBook Pro or similarly sized laptop. Top grab handle. D-Ring on front panel for additional attachment point for key chains. Perfect for school, work, gym and travel.
The ordinary mouse has only two levels of pressure sensitivity, and we all know them, clicked and not clicked. On the other hand, let’s say a Wacom stylus, this stylus has up to 2400 variant levels of pressure sensitivity.
With that example, it is proven that styluses will do better when it comes to more detailed photo editing.
Having that much range in pressure sensitivity can be so beneficial. If you are working in Photoshop, those pressure sensitivity levels apply when using a brush, so when you are trying to blend colours or add on some effects, it makes it much smoother and more natural when using the stylus.
You will get a more natural drawing position when using the stylus, and moving your hands and wrists won’t be any problem.
Control is everything, and you don’t have that much power when you use a mouse. The stylus gives you extra control when you are doing your strokes.
Time has come when you can draw on your device as you do on a piece of paper. Within Photoshop, you can digitally paint with your stylus, and your work would look more realistic, simply because you have a wide range of dexterity in your hands and fingers.
If you want your pictures to come alive and look beautiful, realistic and competent, then a Wacom drawing tablet, which is the best standalone tablet that doesn’t need a computer, is the perfect device for your craft.
Wacom drawing tablets have multiple models; you have to decide which one suits you the most. Different models have different features, and you have to go with the one that will satisfy all of your needs.
Another thing to point out is what you are going to use your digital drawing tablet, either for work or just for recreational use. Either way, here are the models that Wacom offers:
Bamboo – The Best Wacom Drawing Tablet for Beginners
- Perfect for advanced or beginning digital artists - draw, paint, and edit with an easy to use pen tablet,Replaces your mouse and turns your computer into a digital drawing canvas.
- Battery-free, pressure sensitive pen helps you to draw thicker and thinner lines depending on how hard you push on the pen
- Small and portable: 152 x 95 mm (6.0 x 3.7 in), is perfect for limited desktop areas and can be setup for both left and right handed use
- Product not compatible with the Wacom Wireless Accessory Kit for Bamboo Capture/Bamboo Create/Intuos5 Models (ACK40401)
- Compatibility:Connects to Mac (OS X 10.10 and above) or PC (Windows 7 and above) via USB cable or wireless.
First in line is the Bamboo model that is typically considered a Wacom drawing tablet for beginners.
On this tablet, you can draw, sketch, paint, and you can also edit photos. It is considered a beginner drawing tablet because it is not that expensive, and with this tablet, people can try out what it is like to draw on a tablet.
The 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity give the users pretty good realistic and natural drawings and sketches, and it makes editing photos an interesting experience.
The Bamboo line has three different models. All three vary in features and price, so it is down to the user to choose what they like in a tablet.
The first two models, the Bamboo Connect, which is around 80 dollars and the Bamboo Capture, which is approximately 100 dollars, don’t have the eraser feature on the tip of the stylus.
This feature comes pretty handily to erase a mistake you have made. You only have to flip the stylus and wipe the error away.
They are small in size, and the Connect lacks some of the more basic and essential features like a multi-touch input, Nik Color Efex Pro Filters, Corel Painter Essentials, or Adobe PS Elements.
One the other hand, the final model, the Bamboo Create, which is around 200 dollars, is more significant in size, and that means a bigger workspace.
It has all the features that we named above that the previous models didn’t have. Again, it is all up to what the user prefers and what they are going to use the tablet for.
Wacom Inkling – Something Different
This model stands out of the rest because a real pen can be used to draw on it. If you can’t get used to the stylus, you can draw traditionally with a real, normal pen.
All you have to do is clip the receptor at the top, next the Inking will start to record everything you draw and automatically save it on the device.
This saves you the time to scan your work, and that can give you more time to work.
Also, all of your sketches and drawings can be exported as files with layers as Photoshop, Illustrator SketchBook Pro formats.
Sketching out some ideas first and then kick off from a digital standpoint, because all of your ideas are ready to go from export. This drawing tablet can be found and bought at a price of around 200 dollars.
Wacom Intuos5 – A Professional Drawing Tablet
- Wacom’s trusted professional Pro Pen 2 technology in a precision graphics tablet, optimized for hours of image editing, illustration or design work
- Slim tablet design in our most popular size (13.2” x 8.5”) with an active area of (8.7” x 5.8”) for anyone with a serious creative passion
- The Pro Pen 2 features 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt-response and virtually lag-free tracking for ultimate precision and control – and because it’s battery free it never needs charging
- Speed your workflow with the multi-touch surface, programmable express keys, radial menus and pen side-switches; Customize your experience with pro pen slim or pro pen 3D (sold separately)
- System requirements: USB port, Windows 7 or later (64bit), Mac OS 10.12 or later, Bluetooth Classic for included wireless connection to PC or Mac
Here is a Wacom model that professionals would love to try out. The 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity will give you enormous control over the things you draw and sketch, and also, it will suit people that are editing photos. The Intuos5 comes in three different sizes-small, medium and large.
Other than the size of the tablet, the only difference that these models have is that the small version has only 6 express keys, unlike the two bigger ones that have 8 express keys.
The express keys are there to program them to perform different actions. The various keys can be programmed to do a different task.
Pen tilt recognition is a feature that will recognise any tilting that you do with your stylus. In which way you tilt the pen, the brush or other software you are using will recognise that tilt.
On the side of the tablet, you can find a multi-function touch ring, which is similar to a scroll that old iPods had.
You think you can use the multi-function ring to scroll through the sizes of brush, so if you want to have a bigger brush, you would have to navigate in a clockwise motion, and if you’re going to have a smaller size brush, you scroll anti-clockwise.
This model also has multi-touch functionality that gives you the option to work with more than one finger.
With all those features, this model gives you massive control over your work and the express keys on the side will save you so much time.
The three different sizes go for different prices, of course, the small is around 230 dollars, the medium is about 350 dollars, and the large is around 470 dollars.
Wacom Cintiq Tablet – One of the Best Digital Tablets for Designers
- Wacom's most natural and advanced pen performance with 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, eraser and virtually lag free tracking
- 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 px) is packed into a 24 LCD display with superb color accuracy (99 percentage of Adobe RGB)
- The Express Key Remote puts 17 programmable buttons within easy reach; The on screen keypad and the radial menus offer further one touch shortcuts
- The etched glass screen reduces glare and reflections while providing a distinct, tactile experience as you draw, mimicking the feel of a pen on paper
- Connect Cintiq Pro to your Mac or PC with the included USB C cable or use the included Wacom Link and cables to connect via Mini DisplayPort or standard USB; Windows 10 and Mac OS compatible
This model is considered one of Wacom’s best tablets.
The control you have over what you are drawing is fantastic, and everything you sketch or draw is exact.
The Cintiq comes in three different models, the Cintiq 12WX, the Cintiq 21UX, and the Cintiq 24HD. The two main differences between these models are their size and price.
The Cintiq 12WX is around 1000 dollars, the Cintiq 21UX is about 2000 dollars, and the Cintiq 24HD is around 2600 dollars.
What’s the Best Software for your Wacom Tablet?
One app that is relatively popular among artists is Bamboo Paper. This is an iOS app that is great for your doodling and sketching idea, plus it can be used to create presentations and can be used for some photo editing.
Another app that may be the most popular now is the Sketchbook Pro.
It is incredible for creating sketches and drawings, and it is also pretty fast not to have any lag while you are at work. It supports layers, so your work can be brought to Photoshop after you are done.
This app has tools that are pretty similar to the ones that Photoshop has. This app can be purchased at around 60 dollars.
Like we said, in the beginning, it all comes down to the user’s preference and experience, but arguably the best tablet for artists.
If you are one of the people that are just beginning to draw and sketch, then some of the not so expensive drawing tablets are for you that has all the necessary features.
If you are a professional that has been working for years and is searching for something that has fantastic control and precision, then these Wacom drawing tablets, which are more expensive and have top-notch features, are the way to go.
Top 10 Wacom Drawing Tablets in 2020
- Product 1: Perfect for kids or beginning artists, this easy to use graphic tablet is great for drawing, anime/ manga and editing photos; Replaces your mouse and turns your computer into a digital drawing canvas
- Product 1: Battery free, pressure sensitive pen helps you to draw thicker and thinner lines depending on how hard you push on the pen; It also battery free and requires no charging, so it's always ready whenever you want to create art
- Product 1: Compact and portable with an active working area of (6.0 x 3.7 inch) and can be configured for both left or right handed use with very simple set up/installation
- Product 1: Wacom quality and brand you can trust durable construction; Compatible with any program including: Adobe Photoshop, paint tool sai, illustrator, corel draw, corel painter, sketchbook, manga studio, clip studio paint, OSD and more
- Product 2: Graphics tablet to use in any software for digital art, photo editing and animation 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and 2540 lip
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Wacom Intuos Pro Pen Tablet with 4-Port USB Hub and Standard Nibs for Digital Pro Pen 2 and Pro Pen 3D (10-Pack)
- TAILORED FOR YOUR NEEDS: This tablet allows you to choose from a variety of pens and different Texture Sheets to personalize the way you work. Plus, get easy shortcuts with customizable ExpressKeys, Touch Ring, and pen side switches. Enjoy the feeling of drawing with Wacom Finetip Pen on paper while digitally capturing every stroke for further work in your favorite software
- NATURAL AND PRECISE: The Pro Pen 2 is designed to become a natural extension of your hand. Take your work to the next level with exceptional sensitivity and responsive control. Featuring the same advanced technology as Wacom Pro Pen 2, Wacom Pro Pen 3D comes with three fully customizable buttons
- PAPER EDITION: Paper Edition gives you the freedom to choose how you work. You can sketch directly onto to the pen tablet using Wacom Pro Pen 2, working digitally from start to finish. Alternatively, you can start by drawing on paper with Wacom Finetip Pen, and then edit your sketches digitally in your favorite software
- WACOM AUTHORIZED DEALER: Includes USA Manufacturer Warranty
- Product 1: A more affordable pen Display with Wacom Pro Pen 2 technology, 8, 192 pressure levels, low activation force and tilt recognition. Its amazing precision and reduced Parallax provide the most natural drawing experience.
- Product 1: Cintiq’s 21.5” 1920x1080 HD Display provides you with clarity to see every detail of your work. The scratch-resistant Anti-Glare surface prevents distracting reflections as you create.
- Product 1: See your creations in vibrant color on the cinq's HD display (16.7 million colors, 72% NTSC/Cue 1931 typical). Work as long as you'd like with the battery free pen that charges off the screen while you create.
- Product 1: Connect to your computer with the convenient HDMI and USB cables and get into the perfect position with the included adjustable stand that lets you adjust how you want to work.
- Product 2: The wireless Express key remote for Cintiq and Intuos Pro is designed for more efficiency and comfort
- Product 1: Wacom trusted Professional Pro pen 2 technology in a precision graphics tablet, optimized for hours of image editing, illustration or design work
- Product 1: Slim tablet design with the most compact footprint in the Intuos Pro line (10.6 inch x 6.7 inch) and an active area of (6.3 inch x 3.9 inch) for anyone with a serious creative passion but lacking in space
- Product 1: Pro pen 2 features 8, 192 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt response and virtually lag free tracking for ultimate precision and control; Latex free silicone rubber grip
- Product 1: Speed your workflow with the multi touch surface, programmable express keys, radial menus and pen side switches; Customize your experience with pro pen slim or pro pen 3D (sold separately)
- Product 2: Store and transport your Pro pen 2 safely in a Wacom Pro pen 2 case
- Product 1: See your imagination come to life in full color on a 13.3” display with a natural surface friction that makes for intuitive drawing on screen. When working from home use the Wacom One as an extended display to efficiently annotate documents or convey ideas to students or colleagues over web-conference
- Product 1: Feels like a real pen – no need for batteries, the pen feels and looks right. Plus, this one pen uses software to act as multiple pens and brushes in a full range of colors, with superb accuracy
- Product 1: Digital freedom – sketch or paint directly on screen, draw diagrams, annotate documents, enhance photos and videos, plus you can delete, edit and share your creations with ease
- Product 1: Includes creative software: purchase and register your Wacom One and receive Bamboo Paper Pro, Clip Studio Paint Pro (3-month license), Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom (2-month license), and Adobe Fresco (6-month license)
- Product 2: The wireless Express key remote for Cintiq and Intuos Pro is designed for more efficiency and comfort
- Product 1: Wacom’s trusted professional Pro Pen 2 technology in a precision graphics tablet, optimized for hours of image editing, illustration or design work
- Product 1: Slim tablet design in our most popular size (13.2” x 8.5”) with an active area of (8.7” x 5.8”) for anyone with a serious creative passion
- Product 1: The Pro Pen 2 features 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt-response and virtually lag-free tracking for ultimate precision and control – and because it’s battery free it never needs charging
- Product 1: Speed your workflow with the multi-touch surface, programmable ExpressKeys, Radial Menus and pen side-switches; customize your experience with Pro Pen Slim or Pro Pen 3D (sold separately)
- Product 2: Customize your Wacom Intuos Pro M with this smooth Grade texture sheet
- Graphics tablet, optimized for hours of image editing, illustration or design work
- Bundle includes the Wacom Slim Pen, the precision pen performance of the Wacom Pro Pen 2 with a slimmer form factor
- Slim tablet design with the most compact footprint in the Intuos Pro line (10.6 inch x 6.7 inch) and an active area of (6.3 inch x 3.9 inch) for anyone with a serious creative passion but lacking in space
- Speed your workflow with the multi touch surface, programmable express keys, radial menus and pen side switches
- System requirements: USB port, Windows 7 or later (64bit), Mac OS 10.12 or later, Bluetooth classic for included wireless connection to PC or Mac
- The pen’s 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity gives you more control and precision
- The battery-free pen allows for light and comfortable use thanks to EMR (Electro-Magnetic Resonance) technology
- 2 pen buttons for shortcuts at your fingertips
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Paint, design, and create directly on your computer
- Battery-free, pressure sensitive pen
- Connects to Mac (10.8.5 and above) or PC (Windows 7 and above) via USB cable
- Start your creative process with a pen in your hand and a clean sheet of paper with a Wacom Bamboo Smartpad. The Bamboo Smartpad your can easily turn your ideas into a digital shareable format. Finish your masterpiece on the 13" Wacom One graphic tablet with screen.
- Includes Creative Software: purchase & register your Wacom One and receive Bamboo Paper (notebook app), Clip Studio Paint Pro 3-month license (graphics software for drawing/painting), Adobe Premiere Rush 2-month license (video editing)
- Diverse compatibility – link up your Wacom One to your Mac or PC, as well as certain Android tablets and smartphones, and even use digital pens from top brands if you want a different option.
- Smartpad system requirements - Bluetooth enabled iOS or Android smartphone or tablet with Wacom Inkspace app/Internet connection/Maximum notepad thickness about 80 pages (
Last update on 2020-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API